The Call for applications for UN human rights council mandate holders at the 46th session of the Human Rights Council is now open. The application deadline is 12 noon (GMT) on 27 November 2020.
About The UN Human Rights Council Mandate Holders Award
The Secretariat of the Human Rights Council presents its compliments to all Permanent Missions to the United Nations Office at Geneva, international organizations or their offices, national institutions, non-governmental organizations and other human rights bodies. Also, it has the honour to inform them that the following mandate holders are to be appointed at the forty-sixth session of the Council.
- Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (EMRIP), member from Africa
- Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (EMRIP), member from North America
- Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Cambodia
- Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent, member from African States
- Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, member from Asia-Pacific States
Duration of Programme
- Award will be given at the forty-sixth session of the Council
- The independent experts are appointed in the same way as other special procedure mandate holders, but for a three-year term renewable once.
How to Apply
To apply for these mandates,
- complete the online survey and
- submit the application form in Word format, which can be accessed under the specific mandate in the table below.
Application forms are mandate-specific and candidates wishing to apply for more than one mandate must submit a mandate-specific Word application form for each mandate applied for.
Only nationals of the States belonging to the regional groups, for which specific vacancies have been advertised, are eligible for the Working Group mandates. So, please refer to the list of the United Nations regional groups of Member States.
For EMRIP members, candidates need to represent one of the two indigenous sociocultural regions for which vacancies have been advertised. Please see additional information on EMRIP.
Finally, for more information, visit the Frequently Aasked Questions page.
If you like this article “UN Human Rights Council Mandate Holders”, share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.