Congratulations, you have been approved for Canada Permanent Residency. A lot of people are dreaming of getting to your current position. So, celebrate this milestone while you start working on the next phase. From my experience, there a lot of things you need to do before you land. Starting with this post, we will sharing some of the things you need to do between when you have your permanent residency approval and landing. We will, however, focus this post on how to select the right Canadian province and city to land,
This post assumes that you know a bit about Canada as a whole. If this isn’t the case, you should check out this guide on getting to know Canada.
Deciding on the right Province and City for you
First of all, you need to decide on the province you will going. This is the starting point especially if you are not coming in through any of the provincial nomination programs. For most people, this isn’t a straight-forward decision. I am sure you still remember the reasons you started the immigration process in the first place. Your immediate focus is to determine the province and city which will give you an optimal start to your new life.
Your decision should take into account the following
- Education, especially for your children
- Career opportunities
- healthcare service
- business opportunities, in case you are looking to start a business.
- family and / or friends connection
- Cost of living
Key Points for Selecting the Right Province and City To Land
- Decide on a province that needs your skills. Every province has a list of skills and occupations that are in high in demand. If your skills are on the list, you stand a better chance of securing a job in that province.
- Consider a city with great opportunities. In some cities, you will be able easily and efficiently access the bigger job market while keeping your living costs relatively low.
- New immigrants services. One thing you need as a new immigrant is getting access to the right settlement services. Such services ease the process of settling in Canada and enable you to pursue the core professional development you need. Some will even help with job placement opportunities.
- Does the city have attractive higher education institutions? Some new immigrants may decide to go back to school once they land. Even if that isn’t your plan, you should still opt for a city that has at least one major university or college. This will allow you to pursue a certificate, diploma, degree, or relevant credential in your field.
- Do you have any family and / or friend in any city? Having a family or friend in a city, most times, will help with settling down. As a new immigrant, the importance of this can’t be overstated. In fact, this may save you some money in your early days in Canada.
These tips stated above will help you select the right Canadian province and city to land. Landing in the right Province and city will go a long way in helping you to achieve your immigration goals.
If you like this article, share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter and YouTube Channel to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.