The application for the Google News Fund for Small and Mid-sized publishers is now open. The application deadline is July 21, 2022. The ‘News Equity Fund’ is Google’s global commitment to provide financial support and opportunities to news organizations that primarily serve underrepresented communities. The Fund aims to strengthen inclusion, further empower a diverse news ecosystem, and specifically support small and medium sized publishers creating original journalism for underrepresented audiences around the world.
Below are the eligibility criteria
- The Fund is open to small and medium-sized news organizations producing original news for underrepresented audiences.
- The News Equity Fund is open to independent newsrooms employing between 1 – 50 full-time journalists (FTE).
- Eligible applicants may include for-profit or nonprofit traditional news organizations, digital natives, newsletters, podcasts, radio and/or TV broadcasters, and trade press associations whose members cover underrepresented groups.
- Eligible applicants should publish journalistic content regularly.
- Eligible applicants need to have a focus on core news provision, i.e. not lifestyle, sports.
- Eligible applicants must have a verifiable digital presence (such as a website primarily providing journalistic content) and have been in full operation for at least 12 months.
- Incorporated or registered associations or organizations, registered academic or non-profit bodies representing underrepresented journalists and organizations are all eligible to apply as long as you are based in one of the eligible geographies.
- Government-owned entities or entities affiliated/owned by a political party are not eligible to apply.
- Only online applications in English will be considered.
Applications open on Wednesday 22nd June 2022 and close on Thursday 21st July 2022 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.
You will need to provide relevant information about your publication, your organization and details of how the funding will be used via the online application. By submitting an application, you accept and agree to the News Equity Fund Terms and Conditions.
Google will review your submissions and disburse fund as quickly as possible from the date of the application window closing. All applicants will receive notification of the status of their application by email.
Please note that Google will only consider online applications in English but a translated version of the online application form is available.
Below is the selection process
- Initial selection of proposals will be done by teams of Google staff who have knowledge and experience in digital publishing and journalism in the regions detailed above.
- Google will also work with established third party organizations to further confirm our selections.
- Applicants will then be contacted by email and offered funding before being asked to sign a funding agreement with Google.
- Selected applicants will then be required to enroll with our designated payment provider in order to receive the funding.
For more information about the fund, visit the webpage of the Google News Equity Fund 2022.
If you like this article on the “Google News Equity Fund 2022”, please share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter and YouTube Channel to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Image Credit: Google Blog