Canada is one of the best countries to get a high-quality education. Aside this, the cost of living and tuition fees in Canada is relatively low when you compare it to other countries. Also, there are a lot of scholarship opportunities for international students seeking to study in Canada. It is also possible for you to study in Canada on full tuition or partially funded scholarship depending on the school you are attending. In this article, we will share some of the top scholarships and schools for international students in Canada. This list is in no particular order.
Top Scholarships and Schools for International Students In Canada
University of Alberta
The University of Alberta is one of the universities in Canada. The university is dedicated to supporting international students through the provision of scholarship opportunities. Every year, the office of the Registrar administers over $30 million in emergency loans, bursaries, awards, and scholarships. These prizes, scholarships ad awards are given to outstanding applicants and are sponsored by different sources, including the Canadian government and the Government of Alberta. Some of the awards include:
- Killam Trust Scholarships
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Also, there are scholarships and awards by external bodies. These include:
- Convocating Honors — Leadership
- Convocating Honors – Academic
- Sandy Mactaggart Award
- Rhodes Scholarship
- NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA)
- Medical Research Awards
- Jason Lang Scholarship
- Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship
Queen’s University at Kingston
Queen’s University is one of the best Universities in Canada, located in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. It was founded in 1841 and is one of the oldest degree-awarding institutions in the nation. The University is known for excellence and internationally-recognized undergraduate programs in a vibrant and friendly learning environment.
The Queen’s University financial aid is offered to international students who do not have sufficient funds to pay their tuition fees. These financial aids include
- The Queen’s University General Bursary
- Short term loans
- Emergency Assistance
- Upper Year Awards
- Work-study program
Also, there are admission awards and these include
- Schulich Leader Scholarships
- Automatic Admission Scholarships
- Admission Bursaries
- Major Admission Awards
University of Waterloo
The University of Waterloo is one of the best research-based universities in Canada. It is also one of the best Canadian Universities for Studying Computer Science. International students at the University of Waterloo are given different scholarship opportunities.
Undergraduate students have access to the following entrance scholarships without separate application:
- International Student Entrance Scholarships, value: several at $10,000 each
- Entrance scholarships sponsored by alumni and donors, value: several at $1,000 – $5,000
- Merit Scholarship, value: $1,000 Entrance Scholarship
- President’s Scholarship, value: $2,000 Entrance Scholarship
- President’s Scholarship of Distinction, value: $2,000 Entrance Scholarship; $1,500 International Experience Award or; $15,000 Research Award, or both.
The scholarships below require separate application:
- Canadian veterans education benefit, value: up to $80,000
- Schulich Leader Scholarship, worth: 1-2 scholarships of $80,000 over eight academic terms for students in science, technology, or math; 1-2 scholarships of $100,000 over eight academic terms for students in Engineering.
For more information on these awards, visit the school’s website.
Université de Montréal
This is one of the best French-language universities in Canada. The university consist of 16 departments and 13 faculties. It offers both undergraduate and doctoral programs. The Université de Montréal offers scholarship opportunities to both home-based and international students. To know more about the scholarships that you are eligible for, you can visit the scholarship directory.
International students enjoy certain benefits such as a reduction in tuition fees and so on. For more details about the scholarship opportunities available at the university, you can visit the official website.
University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is a research-based university located in Calgary, Canada. It consists of 14 faculties and 85 research institutes. The university offers bursaries and scholarships to international students who are applying for admission to the university. To be eligible for such awards, you need to submit your application for admission to the University.
The different types of award available include:
- Athletic Awards
- International Entrance Awards
- High School Awards and Bursaries
- Prestige Awards
You can also search for more graduate scholarship opportunities through the university’s website.
The University of Western Ontario
The University of Western Ontario was founded in 1878 and is ranked as one of the top 10 Universities in Canada. It offers scholarship opportunities to both International students and Canadians / permanent resident. The University offers full-tuition scholarships to Masters and Ph.D. students. The funding support packages include scholarships, research grants, and part-time jobs as research assistants and teachers.
Scholarships are offered to help international students applying for admission at the University. Some of the scholarships include
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Trudeau Doctoral Scholarships
- Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS)
For more details about these scholarship opportunities, visit the official website of the university.
University of British Columbia
The University of British Columbia provides a wide range of choices for international students at all levels. One of the core mandates of the University is providing financial support for outstanding students. Thus, it provides need-based and merit-based scholarships and awards to both Canadians and international students.
The scholarship awards available for Canadians include:
- Awards for Aboriginal students
- Schulich Leader Scholarships
- Loran Awards
- UBC Centennial Scholars Entrance Awards
- Presidential Scholars Awards
As for international students, the University of British Columbia provides two types of merit-based awards. You automatically get considered for these awards as soon as you receive your offer of admission to study at the University. Consideration for these awards is based on your academic performance.
McMaster University is one of the best research-based universities in Canada. Every first-year international student is automatically considered for the McMaster’s President’s / Honors Awards. These scholarship award does not require a separate application. The worth of the scholarship award depends on a student’s final admission average.
Also, McMaster University offers three entrance awards where international students can have access to up to $80,000 funding in their first year at the University. These entrance awards are:
- Hatch Scholarship– worth: $32,000 ($8,000 per year
- Adella Margaret Bragg Scholarship – worth: $6,000 ($1,500 per year)
- Marjorie Anderson Entrance Academic Grant – worth: $80,000 ($20,000 per year) *multiple grants available
In addition to the above opportunities, international students also have access to the Schulich Leader Scholarships. This is to help outstanding students pursue their dreams and become the next leaders in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths).
For more details on scholarship opportunities available at the University, visit the university’s website.
McGill University is highly recognized for the excellence of its research programs and teaching. The university supports international students regardless of their race. McGill University offers need-based and merit-based entrance scholarships in addition to other funding programs. All first-year students are eligible for all these scholarship opportunities and can apply regardless of their citizenship.
There are two types of entrance scholarships for international students. These are:
- One-year Scholarships: worth $3,000 (non-renewable)
- Major Scholarships: worth $3,000-$12,000 (renewable for up to 3 years)
As you can see, Canada is a great study destination for international students. Apart from the low cost of living, the environment is safe, conducive for learning, and also friendly to international students. So, if you are considering which country to study, you should definitely bookmark this article.
If you like this article “Top Scholarships and Schools for International Students In Canada”, please share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter and YouTube Channel to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.