The application for the Mitacs Elevate Fellowship Program 2022 for Postdoctoral students is now open. The intent to apply deadline is 15th December 2021 while the final application deadline is 19th January 2022. The fellowship program is for 2 years.
About the Mitacs Elevate Fellowship Program 2022 for Postdoctoral Students
Mitacs Elevate is the only Postdoctoral fellowship in Canada with professional skills training component. Mitacs Elevate is a postdoctoral fellowship with a customized research management training component. Fellows address complex challenges through:
- exclusive research management curriculum for postdoctoral fellows in any discipline
- a minimum one-year research project (normally two years in duration) with a partner organization in need of high-level expertise
- a Partner Organization Business Case, developed to outline project objectives, risks, and stakeholder success criteria, and ensure project value
Elevate fellows progress through the program in a cohort, giving them cross-disciplinary networking and peer-learning opportunities they might not have otherwise in their careers.
Over the two-year fellowship, Elevate fellows divide their time between their partner organization project and university-based research with their faculty supervisor.
Below are the eligibility criteria
- Elevate supervisors must hold a faculty position at a Canadian university and must be eligible to administer Tri-Council funds. Also, they must be in a position that allows them to supervise graduate students.
- Mitacs Elevate is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and international applicants. The fellow must be based at a university located in Canada for the duration of the fellowship.
- Fellows must be committed to the two-year fellowship, including the training and development, when applying to Elevate. Replacement and/or substitute fellows are not allowed.
- Postdoctoral fellows may apply for Mitacs Elevate fellowship if their date of graduation from a PhD program is no more than 5 years prior to the proposed start date the research project. Fellows who have had a break in their career due to military service, illness, or family leave may be considered as exceptions and must be approved in advance of proposal submission. If this situation applies to you and/or you have any questions, please contact Mitacs at elevate(at)mitacs.ca.
- Successful candidates must have fulfilled all degree requirements (e.g., successful defense, final deposit, and signoff of dissertation) for their PhD at time of project start date.
Additional criteria are
- All fellows are responsible for ensuring that they meet the PDF eligibility criteria at their host institution. Also, they need to hold a PDF status by the start date of their fellowship and for the two-year duration of the Elevate program.
- Fellows must not have been employed for more than six months in an R&D position outside the university after receipt of their doctoral degree; and
- Fellows must not have received an offer of employment from the partner organization except an offer of this fellowship or short-term employment of up to six months while awaiting a decision on the fellowship.
- If the application is not recommended for an award, the candidate may not be eligible to apply again once he or she has accumulated more than six months of industrial or partner organization work. It is therefore recommended that candidates accept a temporary contract only if necessary. The period of the contract should be as short as possible.
- Also, fellows who have held a Mitacs Accelerate award as a Masters, or PhD student are eligible to apply. Applicants may you apply if they have been approved for no more than 3 internship units. This is for 1 year equivalent support at the postdoctoral level to be completed before the start of the Elevate fellowship. Postdoctoral fellows who have already held a Mitacs Elevate award are not eligible to apply.
Note: Fellows cannot apply to multiple Mitacs programs for the same period of time.
Value of Mitacs Elevate Fellowship Program
Each fellow will receive the following:
- $55,000 minimum annual stipend / salary (for fellowships after April 1, 2019)
- Training curriculum valued at $7,500 per year
- Submission assistance, including application feedback, from Mitacs representatives
- Certificate of completion after receipt of their exit survey and final report submission
How to Apply for the Mitacs Elevate Fellowship Program 2022 for Postdoctoral Students
For information on how to submit your application, click here.
If you like this article “Mitacs Elevate Fellowship Program 2022 for Postdoctoral Students”, please share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter and YouTube Channel to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.