Application for the 2022 Facebook Fellowship program is now open and closes on September 20, 2021. The program supports promising PhD students conducting research in areas related to computer science and engineering, from AR/VR to security and privacy. Facebook Fellowship Program is open to full-time PhD students (domestic and international) enrolled during the current academic year and studying computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, system architecture, or a related area.
About the Facebook Fellowship Program
The Facebook Fellowship is a global program designed to encourage and support promising doctoral students who are engaged in innovative and relevant research in areas related to computer science and engineering at an accredited university.
The program is open to students in any year of their PhD study. Facebook also encourages people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply, especially those from traditionally under-represented minority groups. Applications are evaluated based on the strength of the student’s research statement, publication record, and recommendation letters.
Winners of the Fellowship are entitled to receive two years of paid tuition and fees, a $42,000 annual stipend to cover living and conference travel costs, a paid visit to Facebook headquarters for the annual Fellowship Summit, and various opportunities to engage with Facebook researchers.
The Fellowship Award Includes
- Tuition and fees paid for the academic year (up to two years/four semesters)
- A $42,000 annual stipend to cover living and conference travel costs
- A paid visit to Facebook headquarters for the annual
- invitation to Fellowship Summit (pending COVID-19 restrictions)
- Various opportunities to engage with Facebook researchers
To be eligible for the fellowship, your research must be in the following areas
- Computational Social Science
- Compute Storage and Efficiency
- Computer Vision
- Distributed Systems
- Economics and Computation
- Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Networking and Connectivity
- Research Outside of the Above: relevant work in areas that may not align with the research priorities highlighted above.
Available Fellowship Areas
Below are the areas the fellowships will cover
- AI System HW SW
- Applied Statistics
- AR/VR Computer
- AR/VR Future
- AR/VR Human
- Computer Interaction
- AR/VR Human
- Understanding AR/VR Perception, Cognition & Action AR/VR Photonics and Optics
- Audio Presence
- Augmented Reality
- Audio Blockchain and Cryptoeconomics
- Computational Social Science
- Database Systems
- Distributed Systems Economics and Computation Networking
- Privacy and Data Use Programming
- Languages Security and Privacy
Selection Criteria and Eligibility
Below are the eligibility criteria
- Applicants must be full-time PhD students who are enrolled in an accredited university (in any country) by the start of the Fellowship (i.e., Fall 2021)
- Students must be involved in ongoing research related to one or more relevant disciplines (see available fellowships below)
- You must remain enrolled full-time for the duration of the Fellowship to receive program benefits
- Students should not apply for Facebook Fellowships if they are actively being funded by Facebook through some other sponsorship or collaboration and/or if they are actively being supervised (or co-supervised) by a Facebook researcher. If in doubt, please email
The application for the 2022 Fellowship cohort will close on September 20.
- Application opens: August 3, 2021, 9:00am PST
- Application closes: September 20, 2021 11:59pm PST
- Announcement of winners: End of January 2022
How to Apply for the Facebook Fellowship
Your application must include the following:
- 500-word research summary that clearly identifies the area of focus, importance to the field, and applicability to Facebook of the anticipated research during the award (reference the available fellowships below)
- Two letters of recommendation, including one from an academic advisor. You will be asked to provide your references’ contact information, and they will receive a corresponding form to submit their letters.
The Application is now live. So, if this interests you, you should start your application early.
For more information, visit the webpage of the Facebook Fellowship Program 2022.
If you like this article “Facebook Fellowship program for PhD Students”, please share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter and YouTube Channel to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.