The Earthshot Prize is the most ambitious and prestigious of its kind. The focus is to incentivise change and help to repair our planet over the next ten years. Taking inspiration from President John F. Kennedy’s Moonshot which united millions of people around an organising goal to put man on the moon and catalysed the development of new technology in the 1960s, the Earthshot Prize centres around five ‘Earthshots’. These are simple but ambitious goals for our planet which. If these goals are achieved by 2030, they will improve life for us all, for generations to come. This article will focus on everything you need to know about the Earthshot Prize.
What Are The Five Earthshots?
The Earthshot Prize centres around five ‘Earthshots’, underpinned by scientifically agreed targets, which if achieved by 2030 will improve life for us all, for generations to come. The five Earthshots are:
- Protect and restore nature
- Clean our air
- Revive our oceans
- Build a waste-free world
- Fix our climate
What is The Prize?
- Five, one million-pound prizes will be awarded each year for the next ten years, providing at least 50 solutions to the world’s greatest environmental problems by 2030.
- The Earthshot Prize is about much more than awarding achievement. It is a decade of action to convene the environmental world with funders, businesses and individuals to maximise impact and take solutions to scale. Also, it will celebrate the people and places driving change. Aside this, it will inspire people all over the world to work together to repair the planet.
What Are The Expected Solutions?
- The Earthshot Prize aims to find new solutions that work on every level, have a positive effect on environmental change and improve living standards globally, particularly for communities who are most at risk from climate change.
- Prizes could be awarded to a wide range of individuals, teams or collaborations – scientists, activists, economists, community projects, leaders, governments, banks, businesses, cities, and countries – anyone whose evidence-based solutions makes a substantial contribution to achieving the Earthshots.
- After the awards, each winner will receive a global platform and prestigious profile, with their stories being showcased over the decade with the ambition that their solutions lead to mass adoption, replication and scaling.
- The £1 million in prize money will support environmental and conservation projects that are agreed with the winners.
- Shortlisted nominees will receive tailored support and opportunities to help scale their work. This includes connection with an ecosystem of like minded individuals and organisations.
For more information about the Earthshot Prize, visit the official Web page of the Earthshot Prize 2020.
If you like this article “Everything You Need To Know About The Earthshot Prize”, share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others.