Canada has announced a new open work permit option for essential workers and international student graduates in Canada. Starting July 26, temporary residents who applied for the newly-launched pathway to permanent residence will be eligible for an open work permit while they wait for a decision on their application.
So, this means that those who applied for the new programs will not have to worry about their temporary status expiring. If their current work or study permit expires before Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) approves or denies their application, they can apply for this new work permit.
About The New Open Work Permit
Without this new open work permit, applicants run the risk of having to leave Canada, even though they already applied for a program that should help them stay in Canada. The work permits issued under this policy will be valid until December 31, 2022.
Although there are some other existing options available, the new policy will fill in some of the cracks. For example, international student graduates can apply for a new Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), as per the government’s temporary measure launched in January. However, this opportunity closes on July 27. The new pathways are open to applications until November 5.
How to qualify for the new open work permit
In order to be eligible for this one-time open work permit, applicants must show that they:
- have applied under one of the new permanent residence pathways;
- have authorization to work at the time of their application;
- hold a valid work permit that is set to expire within the next four months;
- have temporary residence status, maintained status, or are eligible to restore their status at the time they submitted their open work permit application;
- are in Canada at the time they submitted their open work permit application;
- hold employment in any occupation at the time they submitted their permanent residence application; and
- meet the language requirements of the stream under which they applied at the time they submitted their application.
The open work permit is also available to the applicant’s spouse or common-law partner and dependent children over the age of 18. The only requirement is that they are also in Canada.
IRCC will have more details on its website on July 26, 2021.
If you like this article “New Open Work Permit Option”, please share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter and YouTube Channel to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.