Applications for the Microsoft AI for Accessibility Grants 2021 are now open. The AI for Accessibility grants support projects that use AI to empower people living with disabilities. Microsoft is looking for individuals or teams who are not only passionate about making the world more inclusive, but also firmly rooted in the communities they intend to benefit. They want to invest in ideas that are developed by or with people with disabilities.
Some of the benefits to participants are
- In addition to Azure compute credits worth $10,000, $15,000, or $20,000, the grants cover costs related to collecting or labeling data, developing models, or other engineering-related work.
- Access to Microsoft’s community of AI for Accessibility
- Also, grantees receive Azure developer support, resources, and opportunities to collaborate and showcase their work.
Eligibility Criteria For Microsoft Artificial Intelligence for Accessibility Grants
To be eligible, you must be from developers, NGOs, academics, researchers, and inventors ready accelerate their work for people with disabilities.
Since this is a global program, grant applications from all countries are eligible.
If you think you will meet all requirements, connect to someone in your community who can support you and partner on an application.
AI for Accessibility grant applications are reviewed by Microsoft employees who are directly involved in the AI for Accessibility grant selection process for the sole purpose of proposal review and to determine the grant level to be provided. Projects should be with or by people with disabilities.
Microsoft will evaluate applications on the following criteria:
- Relevance: AI and/or machine learning are core to the project success.
- Impact: Your project clearly elevates education, employment, community, or home outcomes for someone with a disability.
- Data: Your team is open to sharing privacy compliant data for future innovation.
- Feasible: The project is achievable within a one-year timeframe. This could be phase 1 of your project, but there should be tangible deliverables completed each quarter that are wrapped up in 12 months.
- Capable: Your team should have the knowledge and skill to deliver the idea, or you should have a plan to partner with someone who can fill in any gaps.
- Sustainable: The project has room to grow beyond the first year of funding.
- Showcase-able: They want to talk about whatever you deliver!
Microsoft Artificial Intelligence for Accessibility Grants 2021 Requirement
Review the proposal requirements document. Your project proposal should describe the accessibility challenge addressed, the technical solution proposed, and its potential impact on people with disabilities. Follow the application form and be as specific as possible.
How to Apply
Microsoft accepts proposals on a rolling basis and review them a few times a year. The next deadlines are:
- Employment: July 30, 2021, 11:59 PM Pacific Time
- Low-Cost Assistive Technology (AT): December 17, 2021, 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Submit your project proposal via the online application form
For more information, visit Microsoft grant website.
If you like this article on “Microsoft AI for Accessibility Grants”, share it with your friends and family. In addition, we invite you to engage with us so we can help you make your transition into Canada smooth. Also, subscribe to our newsletter and YouTube Channel to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.