The IMF is inviting applications for its IMF Economist Program (EP),2022 for recent PhD graduates. The program will start in September 2022, at IMF’s Washington D.C. headquarters. The application deadline is December 11, 2021.
About IMF Economist Program (EP) 2022 for Recent PhD Graduates
The EP is a three-year program consisting of two 18-month assignments. It is aimed at talented, recent PhD graduates who are excited by the opportunity to gain operational experience and further develop their macroeconomics expertise, while making a direct and meaningful contribution on a global stage to fostering monetary cooperation, securing financial stability, facilitating international trade, promoting sustainable economic growth, and reducing poverty.
Participants in the EP will apply their studies and research to policy work that impacts our 190 member countries and join a team of staff working to address the key global economic challenges. Depending on the assignments, EP program participants will gain broad experience in regional and country-specific issues, as well as in fiscal, monetary, balance of payments, debt, or other related issues and contribute to our analytical work.
To be eligible for the program, you must meet the requirements below:
- Have recently completed or are expected to complete a PhD within a year (or less) of joining in fields including macroeconomics, finance, public finance, monetary economics, international economics, trade, poverty issues, political economy, econometrics or related areas.
- Possess an excellent academic record.
- Have validated analytical, quantitative, and IT skills.
- Show an interest in, and aptitude for, working in an international organization, and contributing to economic policy issues.
- Be a national of one our member countries.
- Be below age 34 at entry to the program on September 12, 2022.
- Have strong written and oral English skills.
Ideally, you will also be:
- Motivated by making significant contributions to the economic well-being of our members.
- Able to demonstrate a sound understanding of macroeconomics (even if specialized in other areas during graduate school), able to utilize conceptual frameworks to commutate complex ideas, and be comfortable in navigating around the different sectors of an economy and the linkages between these sectors.
- Able to undertake a combination of operational, analytical, and research work.
- Versatile and flexible in learning about different areas while also possessing a strong field of relevant expertise.
- A natural collaborator motivated by exchanging information and ideas with others to reach common goals and making a substantial contribution to the team’s work.
- Cultural agility and emotional intelligence to engage effectively internally and externally, develop relationships, and build strong networks.
- Willingness to travel (can vary based on assignment but typically one-two missions per 18-month EP rotation)
- Proficient in, or be willing to learn, foreign languages. (Languages other than English are useful but not a requirement.)
The IMF will conduct an initial screening based on your application form and supporting documentation. If you are successful in meeting the initial criteria, you will receive an invitation for a preliminary interview.
The interview may be during IMF’s university campus visits, at the American Economic Association (AEA) Annual Meeting, by phone, or by video.
Following a successful preliminary stage (preliminary interview + transcript + references), IMF will invite you for a virtual panel interview.
The preliminary and panel interview stage will take place through the end of the year and during January 2022, with the two steps overlapping.
For more Information on the program, visit the website for the International Monetary Fund (IMF) 2022 Economist Program.
If you like this article “IMF Economist Program (EP) 2022 for Recent PhD Graduates”, please share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter and YouTube Channel to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.