Canada launches six new limited-time immigration programs

Canada launches six new limited-time immigration programs

As part of an initiative to meet immigration targets amid travel restrictions, Canada launches six new limited-time immigration programs to essential workers and international student graduates who are working in Canada. Before the programs open to applicants, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will release a guide on how to apply and instructions to immigration officers on how to process applications. These will be the official guidelines for applicants.

Here are some answers to frequently asked questions on the new programs for essential workers and international graduates.

How can I apply?

Applications will be done online, but IRCC has not yet released all the details. The application process is expected to be based on a first in first out principle. IRCC is planning to have a counter on the main page so users can see how many people have applied for the programs.

At the time of applying, you will have to submit a completed application in its entirety, with all fees paid in order to be approved for permanent residence. This includes language test documents. You will also have to be working at the time of your application, and you cannot be on leave for medical, maternity, or otherwise.

What documents will I need?

For these programs, IRCC can only refuse or approve applications. This is why you have to submit everything at once, because the department may not be able to give you a second chance to send in a completed application. There may be situations where IRCC will request additional documents. There may also be a possibility to submit documents that are more difficult to obtain at a later date, such as police certificates, as long as you can prove you have made a reasonable effort to get them.

The documents required for the new programs will be published in the application guide. IRCC said to look at the Canadian Experience Class application guide for hints.

There is going to be a “How to Apply Tool” which will help you decide which stream to apply for. Then you will be lead to create an account. You will see a document checklist. The first required document will be an IMM 0008, which is a generic immigration application form.

The subsequent documents will include proof of eligibility criteria, such as proof of studies in Canada, or a study permit for example. Language test documents that have been taken within the past two years must be uploaded at the time of submission. You will also need to upload copies of your education credential if you are applying for the international graduate streams.

There will be an acknowledgement and consent form, a privacy statement, then you will land on a page which confirms your submission. You will be able to view what you uploaded after you have submitted your application   

How long is the processing time?

IRCC is aiming to process these new streams in six months, but has not set a processing standard yet.

Can I apply to multiple streams?

Yes, but then you will have to pay the fees twice.

Can I apply if I have not graduated?

Yes, current employment in any occupation is eligible and it does not have to be full time, as long as the eligible work experience meets the 1,560 hour requirement within the three years leading up to the application date.

Can I apply without a PGWP?

Yes, as long as you are working and you have met the work experience requirement of 1,560 hours within the past three years in an eligible occupation.

Can I apply if I live in Quebec?

Part of the eligibility for the new pathways is that applicants must intend to immigrate to any province other than Quebec. This is part of an effort to increase French immigration outside of Quebec. Also, Quebec has a special agreement with Canada, which prohibits the federal government from implementing new immigration programs to the province.

However, Quebec education and work experience are still eligible as far as these new programs are concerned. Quebec-based applicants can still qualify, but they may have to answer questions about how they will move, their settlement plan, what they have done to actively look for a job outside the province, or if they have a job offer elsewhere.

Do I have to be employed in an eligible occupation at the time of my application?

No. At the time of your application you can be employed in any occupation. You just have to have met the work requirement of 1560 hours in an eligible occupation within the past three years.

There are two streams of eligible essential occupations. Healthcare occupations are listed under Stream A, and other essential occupations are listed under Stream B. If you are applying as a healthcare worker you cannot use Stream B occupations toward your eligibility, but if you are applying as an other essential worker you can count Stream A work experience.

Will self-employed work count?

No, but there are other immigration pathways for self-employed workers.

If you like this article on “Canada launches six new limited-time immigration programs”, share it with your friends and family.  Also, subscribe to our newsletter and YouTube Channel to ensure you don’t miss any update from us.  Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – TwitterFacebookInstagram and LinkedIn.

About Emmanuel Oluwatosin

Co-founder & Publisher of AfricaX. He is interested in: Technology | Media | Startup | Business | Education. Emmanuel currently lives in Calgary, Canada with his family.

View all posts by Emmanuel Oluwatosin →