The Google Research Scholar Programme aims to support early-career professors who are pursuing research in fields relevant to Google. The Research Scholar Programme provides unrestricted gifts to support research at institutions around the world and is focused on funding world-class research conducted by early-career professors. The application deadline is December 01, 2022.
About Google Research Scholar Program
Google encourages submissions from professors globally who are teaching at universities and meet the eligibility requirements. It is Google’s hope that this program will help develop collaborations with new professors and encourage the formation of long-term relationships.
Awards are disbursed as unrestricted gifts to the university and are not intended for overhead or indirect costs. They are intended for use during the academic year in which the award is provided to support the professor’s research efforts.
The funds granted will be up to $60,000 USD and are intended to support the advancement of the professor’s research.
Proposals are selected through an internal review process. Applicants will be notified of their proposal status within six months of the initial submission. Applicants should categorize their proposals into one of the following areas of interest to Google in Computer Science and related fields:
- Algorithms and optimization
- Applied science
- Health research
- Human-computer interaction
- Machine learning and data mining
- Machine perception
- Natural language processing
- Quantum computing
- Software engineering and programming languages
- Structured data, extraction, semantic graph, and database management
- Systems (hardware and software)
Eligibility Criteria for the Google Research Scholar Program
Below are the eligibility criteria for the program
- Applicant should be a full-time assistant, associate, or full professor at a university or degree-granting research institution.
- Post doctoral staff can only serve as a co-PI, not a primary PI.
- Applicants must have received their PhD within seven years of submission (e.g. applicant in 2022 must have received PhD in 2015 or later).
- They consider exceptions for applicants who have been teaching seven years or fewer and had delays, such as working in industry, parental leave, leave of absence, etc. You can document this exception request on the application.
- Applicants can submit one application per round.
- Faculty can only serve as a PI or Co-PI per round. Applicants cannot serve on two separate proposals.
- Applicants can apply a maximum of 3 times within the 7 years post-PhD.
Below is the application timeline
- November: Applications open
- December/January: Proposal reviews and scoring
- February: Committee reviews proposals, scoring and make selections
- March: Approval process for selected proposals
- April: Applicants are notified of decision
How to Apply
For more information and details on how to submit your application, visit the Google Research Scholar Program website.
If you like this article on the “Google Research Scholar Program”, please share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter and YouTube Channel to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others. Lastly, you can also follow us on our social media pages – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Start the discussion at community.africaextended.com