Applications are now open for the 2021-2023 cohort of CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars. Through the program, you can accelerate your career, expand your network, collaborate across disciplines, and explore cutting-edge ideas with unrestricted research funding. Also, you will be able to join our community of top researchers addressing the most important questions facing science and humanity. So, if this is of interest to you, learn how to accelerate your career with CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars Program.
CIFAR is seeking to assemble a global cohort. There are no geographic restrictions on who may apply. CIFAR is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI).
Why You Need To Apply?
All CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars receive:
- $100,000 CAD in unrestricted research support over two years. These funds will strengthen scholar’s capacity to conduct research. Possible uses include, but are not limited to:
- research projects,
- teaching release,
- trainee support,
- conference travel, etc.
- Mentorship from a Fellow in their CIFAR research program. Mentors help Global Scholars to integrate into their program, and may provide guidance and insights on areas of interest to the scholar (e.g., research directions, career development).
- Opportunities to apply for time-limited seed funding to support collaboration across disciplines. CIFAR’s Collaborative Research Catalyst Funds motivate and support the launch of high-risk/high-reward interdisciplinary collaborations with other CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars or CIFAR Fellows within or across research programs.
CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars will receive research funding and then participate in a CIFAR research program over a two-year term. The term will begin on April 1, 2021 and end on March 31, 2023. At the end of the term, Scholars retain the title ‘CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar’. Aside this, they will remain connected to CIFAR through CIFAR’s Next Generation Initiatives and research programs.
Value of The Program
Scholars will receive $100,000 CAD in unrestricted research support. The funds will be through their home institution and are intended to support their capacity to conduct research. Possible uses include, but are not limited to: research projects, teaching
release, trainee support, conference travel, etc. CIFAR separately covers travel costs associated with attendance at CIFAR meetings.
What Are The Expectations?
You will find below the expectations
- Attend CIFAR research program meetings (usually 2-3 per year, depending on the program) in Canada and various locations around the world. While at meetings and where appropriate, Scholars will be able to interact and collaborate with fellow program members on research areas of common interest to the program.
- Attend CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar annual meetings (in-person, usually held in early- to mid-May) and virtual meetings (at various times throughout the year) to participate in interactive, expert-led leadership and communications training and peer networking. Each Scholar will attend two in-person annual meetings, dependent on travel restrictions due to the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic.
- Report on successes and activities annually and where possible and appropriate, interact with CIFAR stakeholders and funders.
- Acknowledge CIFAR by using ‘CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar’ in their professional signature and indicating CIFAR as an affiliation. Scholars should also Acknowledge CIFAR as a funder in research publications, presentations, and media interviews supported by this program’s funding.
To be eligible for this program, you must:
- Hold a Ph.D. (or equivalent).
- Be employed at an institution of higher education or research and be within the first five years of starting a full-time research position that includes responsibility for both conducting an independent research program and supervising / teaching graduate or postdoctoral trainees.
- Typically, you are an Assistant Professor (or the equivalent in other academic systems).
- Your position must be secure for the duration of the CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar active term (to March 31, 2023).
- Your start date in this position must be no earlier than July 1, 2016. Note that those who have taken parental leave or those with exceptional circumstances will receive special consideration.
- If you have a pending first full-time position that meets the criteria above and starts no later than July 1, 2021, you are eligible to apply. In this case, you must submit a copy of your letter of appointment with your application.
Please note that post-doctoral fellows are NOT eligible to apply to this program.
CIFAR accepts CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar applications annually. This year’s application cycle opens on September 1, 2020. Applications must be submitted online, using the application form. As an applicant, your research should complement or contribute to the themes and goals of an eligible CIFAR research program. If you wish to apply to more than one program, you must complete a separate application for each program.
In 2020/2021, the CIFAR research programs eligible to accept applications are:
- Boundaries, Membership & Belonging
- Brain, Mind & Consciousness
- Earth 4D: Subsurface Science & Exploration
- Fungal Kingdom: Threats & Opportunities
- Humans & the Microbiome
- Innovation, Equity & the Future of Prosperity
For more Information on the program, visit the Official Webpage of the CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars program 2021/2023.
If you like this article “Accelerate Your Career With CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars Program”, share it with your friends and family. Also, subscribe to our newsletter to ensure you don’t miss any update from us. Finally, don’t forget to join our community to connect with others.